Subject: Re: Chuck-on-a-card?
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 09/26/1999 15:55:20
In message <87puz5mm2u.fsf@boojum.piermont.com>, "Perry E. Metzger" writes:
>The "Chuck" name is an invention of the FreeBSD folks.

Oh, okay.

>This is the NetBSD advocacy mailing list. Its for NetBSD advocacy.

Yes.  However, I think that, if a credit card is going to effectively advocate
NetBSD, it's going to have to do it by compromising a bit and working with
the other *BSD's.

>Frankly, if I'm going to donate money, I'm going to want it to go the
>system *I* work on, not the system other people work on. FreeBSD has
>plenty of money -- they don't need mine and I don't want to give any
>to them. This isn't a "war" -- this is just a matter of charity
>beginning at home.

Fair enough.  It might be worth seeing how strongly people feel about this;
if it's a big issue for a lot of people, then maybe a NetBSD-only card is
the way to go.

Do note that, the way these work, the cardholder doesn't "donate" any money;
it's just part of the small percentage of the price the merchant doesn't
get.

-s