Subject: Re: Free Canadian hosting of NetBSD International with strong crypto.
To: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 07/06/1999 14:40:32
On Tue, Jul 06, 1999 at 05:01:28PM +0000, Alicia da Conceicao wrote:
> David Maxwell wrote:
> > The license always states (from a Canadian perspective)
> > (paraphrased) "You can export strong crypto from the US to Canada,
> > but the recipient (The Canadian citizen) must agree not to re-export
> > that to anywhere outside the US or Canada."
>
> Okay, so there may be some hesitation by Americans to export to Canada.
> Then why not let me set up a machine with a NetBSD mirror.  I simply
> use a bot to log in to an American server, and copy the files onto a
> Canadian server.  That way, only I am the one doing the exporting.
> And since I don't care about stupid US laws, my company and I am more
> than willing to accept the consequences.  Would that be acceptable to
> all?

However, it is a Canadian law too. As I understand it, it's part of our
signing of the ITAR stuff, so I believe you could be prosecuted in
Canada, or at least Canada would be required to allow your extradition
for prosecutuion in the US.

> > That statement has been so clear in every script I've seen, I don't
> > understand how the OpenBSD people feel they can ignore that.
>
> Mind you if the US really wanted to cut down on violence and terrorism,
> they should restrict guns, not crypto.  I think the OpenBSD people are
> correct in ignoring it, since the US export laws are dubious, and I don't
> think there has ever been a conviction against a US citizen, with respect
> to exporting strong crypto in open source products.

Argueing that the law is wrong, doesn't make it legal to break it.

(About an Amiga rendering landscapes) It's not thinking, it's being artistic!
					      - Jamie Woods