Subject: Re: thompson interview
To: Steven J. Dovich <dovich@lethe.tiac.net>
From: Louis Bertrand <louis@signalpath.on.ca>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 05/05/1999 14:32:37
On Wed, 5 May 1999, Steven J. Dovich wrote:

> > > http://computer.org/computer/thompson.htm
> > >
> > >           Unix and Beyond: An Interview with Ken Thompson
> >
> > Who'd like to volunteer to write up a little review/introduction
> > for the Daemon News BSD-news page (2-3 lines or 2-3 paragraphs)?
>
> Let's try to manage distribution a bit. The posted article is a
> verbatim transcript of the article from the current issue of IEEE
> Computer (and is copyrighted). The IEEE website cited above is
> marked with a copyright statement on the master page which claims
> copyright protection for the entire site and all contents unless
> otherwise noted (and I saw no notice of release for the above
> referenced page).
>
> Linking to the IEEE site is likely to be OK, posting the URL is
> likely to be OK, further transcription of the article without
> permission is unlikely to be OK. The last thing *BSD needs is a
> black eye over intellectual property issues.
>
> /sjd

Steven,

I wasn't proposing to lift the contents or claim it as our own or anything
like that. And I don't want to engage in a legal debate, there's too much
of that going on...

If you'll have a look at the news page
<http://www.daemonnews.org/199905/news.html>
in the BSD-in-the-news section, you'll see what we're looking for (same
idea as the slashdot blurbs only somewhat less prone to ADD).

In the case of "Ex-Novell CEO Chooses FreeBSD", the URL was only valid for
one day so a summary was in order, with a link to the publication's home
page.

I could just as easily write it myself but I'm trying to encourage
participation from the *BSD community, to show that it's not a big effort
to do a little bit of advocacy.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to stand on the soapbox!
 --Louis

--
Louis Bertrand, Bowmanville, ON, Canada
<louis@signalpath.on.ca> or <louis@odel.on.ca>