Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.4 CD (was Re: [jkh@zippy.cdrom.com: FreeBSD 3.2 to be given to attendees of USENIX Technical Conference])
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Perry E. Metzger <perry@piermont.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 05/03/1999 10:23:11
Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us> writes:
> On Sun, May 02, 1999 at 06:36:57PM -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>
> > Totally agreed. In fact, I encourage Herb and whomever else to build
> > exportable only CDs. Even people with slow modems can download the
> > domestic set they need in minutes -- it is tiny, and generally useless
> > anyway.
>
> I've never really picked apart what's different... Is there a description
> of what's in there? From what I can see from looking in /usr/src/domestic,
> our domestic sources include... Kerberos.

There are a couple of other things. We've got bdes (not very useful),
and the DES encrypting mode of ed, and a couple of other
trinkets. Other than that, no, you are correct, most of what is in
there is Kerberos.

> It makes sense to me to distribute a US-exportable NetBSD, if we lose nothing
> but Kerberos.

Yup.

> How much of domestic could be thrown into pkgsrc with a "USA_RESIDENT"
> dependency?

Someone would have to do a bunch of work, but it would be a
straightforward task.

Perry