Subject: Re: Community Issues ** LONG **
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/22/1999 23:00:38
  by redmail.netbsd.org with SMTP; 23 Feb 1999 03:00:44 -0000
	via sendmail with stdio
	id <m10F85O-00000kC@smtp.fundy.net>
	for netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org; Mon, 22 Feb 1999 23:00:38 -0400 (AST)
	(Smail-3.2.0.101 1997-Dec-17 #4 built 1998-May-27)
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 23:00:38 -0400
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>, netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org

On Mon, Feb 22, 1999 at 06:03:41PM -0800, David Brownlee wrote:
> Emulation compatability page:
>
> 	As suggested by David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>.
> 	Definitely a good idea - would you be willing to start collecting
> 	the information on this, and then we could look towards putting
> 	them up in an online database. Even then we would need someone to
> 	vet the entries - interested in the job?

It came to mind since I've had friends who were unaware of the supported
binary emulations despite being Unix-savvy. They also couldn't find
details without my suggesting going into the port-specific pages.

Btw, wasn't binary emulation a NetBSD first? Later ported to the other
FreeOSs ?

Sure. That's something I can do with my current skills. As much as I'd
love to spend more time learning kernel internals and playing with
device drivers etc, I can probably make a much more direct contribution
in this way for now. I'll set something up on one of my machines here
for review and it can either live off-site like the mailing list searches
or someone can arrange for it to live on a netbsd.org server.

I'll have a working demo up by Mar 1st. (Hold me to it :-)

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,