Subject: Re: Community Issues ** LONG **
To: Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/22/1999 18:31:54
  by redmail.netbsd.org with SMTP; 23 Feb 1999 01:53:55 -0000
	by beer.org (8.8.8/8.8.8) with SMTP id SAA17356;
	Mon, 22 Feb 1999 18:32:00 -0700 (MST)
To: "Erik E. Fair" <fair@clock.org>
Cc: netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 18:31:54 -0700

[Moved to -advocacy]

"Erik E. Fair" <fair@clock.org>  wrote:
 > Our play, as "alternative OS purveyors," is to keep in touch with the
 > hardware people who want to drive more hardware sales, and avoid (unless
 > courted) the software people with whom we (effectively) compete. That's how
 > we can get hardware documentation, and other support from these vendors.
 > Gotta know which side their bread is buttered on...

I had gotten in touch with some people at SGI earlier this year who
thought it was a great idea to have a NetBSD developer come in and
port NetBSD to the new Intel boxes they were doing... Unfortunately, I
hit a roadblock when the buck ultimately stopped at a Linux developer
who saw fit to convince everyone that the NetBSD people should just
wait until the Linux code was released and we could use that.

Now we can't get hold of any hardware short of pulling out giant
checkbooks and Linux got a nice press-release out of it...

grr hmph.