Subject: Re: Community Issues ** LONG **
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Calvin Vette <cvette@borders.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 02/22/1999 15:18:30
  by redmail.netbsd.org with SMTP; 22 Feb 1999 20:17:23 -0000
	id F2ZJSFMG; Mon, 22 Feb 1999 15:10:58 -0500
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 15:18:30 -0500
From: Calvin Vette <cvette@borders.com>
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
CC: root@garbled.net, netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG,
 	Michael Graff <explorer@flame.org>

Herb Peyerl wrote:

> Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>  wrote:
>  >
>  > On 22-Feb-99 Herb Peyerl spoke unto us all:
>  > #  This needs volunteers who will actually stick with it, be dedicated, and
>  > #  form a real PR department.  I'm about sucked-dry as it is.
>  >
>  > Why not take the final step, and actually form a "PR department"?  Saying
>  > "anyone can work on PR stuff" isn't quite the same as the pride of being an
>  > official team member of some sorts.  Perhaps a NetBSD PR web page, with names
>  > of people who are officialy active in setting things like this up.
>  >
>  > Having an offical departement gives those people a little bit more confidence
>  > when dealing with others.  It would also give you (herb) a way to delegate some
>  > of the PR opportunities you might see, but not have time to participate or
>  > coordiante.
>
> Because PR stuff is generally terribly time sensitive and one recurring
> problem we have with volunteers is people claiming to volunteer to do
> something and then not actually finding the time to do it and then timing
> out after some number of months... This is a non-option for PR work. So
> far there have been no volunteers.  But yeah, I'd like there to be a PR
> department.
>
> So Ding! I just made a PR department. Now what?

You make a request for volunteers, of course!

I'm volunteering to take on:

        - actively produce material for Daemonnews
        - more evangelizing
        - make more devotionalia
        - more wandering the net and getting NetBSD mentioned where FreeBSD
          and Linux are.
        - New logo/typeface and graphics

as well as revamping the site, and keeping it current. David did a great job, but
there are several
things on the site that are embarrassingly out of date. (The projects list comes to
mind).
Keeping news flashes about direction, current projects, etc. coming regularly and
accurately.
Overhaul the entire web sight and graphic impression from installation.
Possibly coordinating an MI installation with graphic consistency in mind.
Overall, making sure the public gets a consistent public view of the product. (Let it
appear completely
unified, even if it is only 99% behind the scenes.)

I can probably be goaded into other things as well.

(BTW, thanks to whomever for moving this thread to -advocacy. Those double-posts were
getting annoying :-)