Subject: Re: Sun jumping on Linux bandwagon
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/21/1998 17:58:10
  by homeworld.redbacknetworks.com with SMTP; 22 Dec 1998 01:59:17 -0000
	by epistolic.cynic.net (8.9.1a/8.9.1) with SMTP id RAA01725;
	Mon, 21 Dec 1998 17:58:11 -0800 (PST)
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 17:58:10 -0800 (PST)
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
cc: netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG

To get back to the original topic:

>Palo Alto, Calif.-based Sun also said it intended to add Linux
>compatibility to its Solaris operating environment.

This was, to me, by far the most interesting part of the announcement.
It appears we're heading towards a new and real Unix ABI, one that
will cover free software, too. Given that we already have Linux
emulation in place on several ports, this looks to be a Good Thing.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   604 801 5335   De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
The most widely ported operating system in the world: http://www.netbsd.org