Subject: Re: Sun jumping on Linux bandwagon
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Mirian Crzig Lennox <mirian@xensei.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/18/1998 14:55:41
  by homeworld.redbacknetworks.com with SMTP; 18 Dec 1998 19:58:01 -0000
          by trantor.cosmic.com (8.8.7/8.8.4)
	  id OAA22991; Fri, 18 Dec 1998 14:55:41 -0500
From: Mirian Crzig Lennox <mirian@xensei.com>
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
Cc: hpeyerl@beer.org (Herb Peyerl), netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG
Date: 18 Dec 1998 14:55:41 -0500

Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com> writes:

> I'm talking about public relations and image building here, and it involves
> a lot of details being consistent with the big picture people are expected to
> to buy into. NetBSD's outward image screams "purist cathedral" compared to
> Linux and FreeBSD, and that is what I'm trying to find ways to change, not
> drastically, but enough to keep it from slowing the growth of the Project.

If you consider it a problem that NetBSD doesn't seem to be attracting
new talent at the same rate that some other freenixes are, I think
you're right; the problem is much more one of image than substance.
That doesn't make it any less of a problem, though-- image'll KILL ya.

It bothers me that so many of my friends who I KNOW are good coders
have complained about having had their efforts rebuffed or ignored.
I've heard the charge enough that I consider it a problem whatever the
underlying reality is.

Another thing that Linux has that seems to be fairly unique is people
like Linus Torvalds and Alan Cox who I SWEAR must be snorting coke
because they don't ever sleep; in addition to coding a steady stream
they take the time to respond to almost every kernel patch that gets
posted by almost anyone to linux-kernel.  It's hard to compete against
that kind of fanaticism, unfortunately. :)

--
Mirian Crzig Lennox                                Systems Anarchist
          "There's a New World Order coming every minute.