Subject: Re: Sun jumping on Linux bandwagon
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/16/1998 10:56:06
  by homeworld.redbacknetworks.com with SMTP; 16 Dec 1998 17:57:56 -0000
	by polaris.garbled.net (8.8.8/8.8.8) id KAA15485;
	Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:56:06 -0700 (MST)
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 10:56:06 -0700 (MST)
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
Cc: netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org, Mirian Crzig Lennox <mirian@xensei.com>

On 16-Dec-98 Mason Loring Bliss spoke unto us all:
#  Hm... Last I checked, -current's NFS implementation had some bugginess.
#  I assume nothing has changed, although I haven't tried it in a while. My
#  last results were that without throttling my NFS transfers, a process
#  writing anything significant to a remote disk would hang such that only
#  rebooting the system would kill it.

I NFS horrendous amounts of data with my alpha running 1.3I.  I have never had
a problem.  As a matter of fact, my longest standing NFS problem, was actually
discovered by Charles to be a driver glitch in the ne0 code.  Let me also
remind you that you are running current, which is loudly defined as a "moving,
possibly unstable development branch".  Have you sent a PR in about this?

#  I wonder how long that will last with Core falling apart while concurrently
#  alienating potential developers. While it's far from the ivory-tower purity
#  of the BSDs, there are *so many* people running Linux that things that are
#  blatantly wrong are bound to be fixed with some rapidity.

Hrmm.. I suppose it would look like we are falling apart.  Take Jason and
Charles for example.  They both left core, and are now still a strong part of
the project.  Leaving core isn't like quitting your job as a manager.  The
people in core sign on to do some work, and help give direction to NetBSD for
awhile.  When they feel they are finished, they go back to being normal
"developers".

Aside from that, I dont think core has dwindled at all.  We currently have 4
members, and have had just about 4 members as long as I can remember.

Being in core is most likely not a fun job.  But remember, this is a volunteer
project.  Being in core is similar to working on a particular project within
NetBSD, you do it for awhile while it interests you, and then you hack on
something else.  Just like release engineering.  Our releng team changes every
release, but people allways volunteer to help out for the next one.

---
Tim Rightnour  -  root@garbled.net
Free Multi-Platform Operating System: http://www.netbsd.org