Subject: Re: Sun jumping on Linux bandwagon
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
From: Mirian Crzig Lennox <mirian@xensei.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/15/1998 14:10:43
  by homeworld.redbacknetworks.com with SMTP; 15 Dec 1998 19:12:59 -0000
          by trantor.cosmic.com (8.8.7/8.8.4)
	  id OAA24311; Tue, 15 Dec 1998 14:10:44 -0500
From: Mirian Crzig Lennox <mirian@xensei.com>
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca>
Cc: netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG
Date: 15 Dec 1998 14:10:43 -0500

John Nemeth <jnemeth@cue.bc.ca> writes:

>      I just got the news release below.  It looks like Sun is jumping
> on the Linux bandwagon.  Considering the amount of support that NetBSD
> has for Sun hardware (more then Linux), and that we were there first,
> is there some way that we can get in on this?  Does anybody have any
> contacts at Sun?

I don't... but considering what Suns get used for these days (huge
honking servers) someone should be emphasizing the fact that NetBSD
has an excellent NFS implementation, while Linux's NFS is lame (so
lame that Linux people even admit it's lame.)

Let's face it, Sun is jumping on the Linux bandwagon because Linux is
the media darling of the moment, and it's a shrewd anti-Microsoft
move.  NetBSD doesn't quite have the hype potential that Linux does;
we just have to get by pure technical merit. :)

--
Mirian Crzig Lennox                                Systems Anarchist
          "There's a New World Order coming every minute.