Subject: Re: Something I noticed on the Yahoo site
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 12/10/1998 03:08:37
  by homeworld.cygnus.com with SMTP; 10 Dec 1998 11:09:00 -0000
	by shell17.ba.best.com (8.9.0/8.9.0/best.sh) id DAA02762;
	Thu, 10 Dec 1998 03:08:37 -0800 (PST)
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
To: mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us (Mason Loring Bliss)
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 03:08:37 -0800 (PST)
Cc: netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG

> Ah, then it could have rested on the backs of those of us who have no
> outside lives. I'd have taken vacation days to man a booth, even though
> I'm probably not sufficiently well-versed in NetBSD's guts to be completely
> useful for this.

Not so. Having someone to coordinate the booth is a job that can be hired out
to professional trade show consultant types -- a volunteer who can make the
booth happen so that everyone else can just show up, is quite valuable.

> I don't think things live in stasis. They grow, or they decline. Since no
> other operating system provides the clean multi-platform support that is
> NetBSD's hallmark, it's a shame it's losing support, I guess, and leaving

Since the market is currently in a phase of dominant hardware platforms, it
should come as no surprise that the FreeBSD strategy is "winning votes".

If the dominance of x86 is ever cracked, then NetBSD will suddenly have the
upper hand, and I hope we are ready to see such a shift coming and run with
it, if and when it should happen.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com