Subject: DEC/Compaq donating to Linux Alpha port
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Jim Wise <jwise@unicast.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 10/19/1998 16:24:17
  by homeworld.cygnus.com with SMTP; 19 Oct 1998 20:33:04 -0000
	by alpine.unicast.com (8.9.1a/8.9.1) with SMTP id QAA12111
	for <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>; Mon, 19 Oct 1998 16:24:24 -0400 (EDT)
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 16:24:17 -0400 (EDT)
From: Jim Wise <jwise@unicast.com>
To: netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org

I stumbled accross the following just now, about Compaq officially
donating equipment to help Linux/Alpha.  It seems to me that this is the
third or fourth time I've seen a non-x86 platform vendor donate
equipment to help another free unix get running on a platform that we're
miles ahead on, probably because they don't know about us...  (Sun with
FreeBSD, HP and DEC with Linux).  DEC has helped us in the past with the
StrongARM port -- what should we be doing to keep NetBSD awareness up?

         Debian GNU/Linux
         http://www.debian.org/
         Compaq donates Alpha to Debian
         October 19, 1998

         >> News

DEC/Compaq has donated an Alpha PCI 64-275 to the Debian project.  The
system will be used to continue development on the Alpha port of the
distribution.  The Debian GNU/Linux Alpha distribution is scheduled to
be included in the 2.1 'Slink' release (set for the end of November).

They system specifications are:
DEC ETN30-BN Alpha, 275Mhz Processor, 1.2Gb Quantum Fireball disk, 128Mb
RAM, Teac 35X IDE CD-ROM, DEC DC21140 PCI Ethernet card, PCI S3 Vision
864 Video card, and a NCR 53c810 PCI SCSI card.

The Debian Project is grateful for this donation.  It will enable work
on the Alpha distribution to progress more smoothly and allow for a more
streamlined and stable distribution.

Thanks to Compaq Computer Corporation for making this donation possible
and also to Jon "maddog" Hall for personally donating 64Mb of additional
RAM to the system.

         >> About Debian

Debian GNU/Linux is a free distribution of the GNU/Linux operating
system. It is maintained and updated through the work of many users who
volunteer their time and effort.

Linux kernel based operating systems are POSIX based, freely
distributable, and includes features such as true multitasking, virtual
memory, shared libraries, demand loading, proper memory management,
TCP/IP networking, and other features consistent with Unix-type systems.
It is used by individuals and organizations worldwide.

         >> Contact Information

For further information, please send email to the Debian Press Contact
press@debian.org or visit the Debian homepage at http://www.debian.org/.

For more information about the Debian GNU/Linux Alpha distribution,
please visit the Alpha port page at http://www.debian.org/ports/alpha/.
A debian-alpha mailing list is also available.  To subscribe, please
visit the Mailing List Subscription page at
http://www.debian.org/MailingLists/subscribe.

For more information about the Compaq Computer Corporation please visit
their web site at http://www.compaq.com/.

         --
         Nils Lohner                             E-Mail: lohner@debian.org
         Debian Press Contact                    Press: press@debian.org