Subject: Re: Export NetBSD CDs
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Berry <berry@chaney.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 10/11/1998 21:44:44
  by homeworld.cygnus.com with SMTP; 12 Oct 1998 02:40:18 -0000
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 21:44:44 -0500
From: Sean Berry <berry@chaney.net>
To: netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org

Rick Kelly wrote:

> Markus Illenseer said:
>
> I just figure that if someone wants to get the domestic version of
> NetBSD on CDROM that they ought to be able to get "instant Gratification".

> > We already are, and I want it that way. I do not want to be part of the
> >"Win95" under the UNICES. And FreeBSD is i386-only, a totally different
> >target and market.
>
> But availability is a nice thing.

On a number of occasions I've built my own NetBSD distribution CDs.
CD burners are reasonably accessible these days.  Would it be possible
(perhaps more in the style of NetBSD culture as I perceive it) to put up
widgets to build the appropriate ISO images (recommended directory
structure,  or historical structures that had been used) if not the
images themselves.

Clearly the profit to be made is not great, and as NetBSD has always
been a little more cookbook, a little less commercial, the concept of
being able to press your own version of the standard trees might appeal
more to the likely NetBSD audiences.  If the goal is more proliferation
than commerce, this might be nice.  I'll be more than happy to publish
mine, if someone more visible would like to link to them.

My 1.3.2 cds got here last week, and while I haven't had a chance to
look at them yet, I'm looking forward to putting them on -something-
again.  Coworkers prefer FreeBSD and Linux, but I've been somewhat out
of the NetBSD community for some time.  (it's amazing how SCO based
billing systems administration can suck up your time)