Subject: Re: Export NetBSD CDs
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 10/11/1998 18:11:52
  by homeworld.cygnus.com with SMTP; 11 Oct 1998 22:12:01 -0000
	by toad.rmkhome.com (8.8.8/8.8.7) id SAA19097;
	Sun, 11 Oct 1998 18:11:52 -0400 (EDT)
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
To: hpeyerl@beer.org (Herb Peyerl)
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 18:11:52 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG

Herb Peyerl said:

>I'm continually amazed at the amount of complaining I've encountered
>since embarking on this CD project... Especially from people who
>haven't actually had anything to do with it...
>
>What sucks about NetBSD is not that we don't sell a million CD's
>every month.  It's that whenever someone actually _tries_ to do
>some good, they get shat on...

Suppose I was some who had never run NetBSD, but had been convinced
that it would suit a particular purpose. Go to the website. The
distribution is "SOLD OUT". Go to the mailing lists and get told
that there will be no more pressed. Get FreeBSD.

>Let me tell you what we _have_ done.
[ stuff deleted]

I didn't say it was easy, but if your going to sell bananas for
a living then you have to sell bananas everyday.

>Let me tell you what I'm seeing here.
>
>	I see a lot of people who haven't done any of the above, spending
>	a lot of effort complaining about what "we" did and claiming to
>	do better.
>
>Well, I invite you to.  We certainly don't own the CDROM market.
>There are 3 other CD vendors who are selling NetBSD CD's; but yet
>you feel you can jump in and do it better.  Well, you know where
>the ftp site is.  Go for it.

Walnut Creek is still shipping NetBSD 1.2.

http://www.schatztruhe.de/ is selling the non-domestic version. Which
I bought. Looks good.

Cheapbytes only sells a i386 distribution, although it is domestic.

And you don't have any.

>I invite you to spend at least 3 times the amount of money that you
>all have calculated on pressing 1000 1.3.2 CD's.  I will continue to
>sell them online.  However, if someone releases 1.3.3 or 1.4 and I've
>only sold 50 of your 1.3.2 CD's, then you don't get the rest of your
>money back.

That is the risk

>Is that a deal?

I'm not saying it's easy. I'm offering my services as a human
sacrifice. :-)
--
Rick Kelly  rmk@toad.rmkhome.com  rmk@rmkhome.com
            http://tencats.rmkhome.com/