Subject: Re: Writing a technical article about NetBSD
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dante Profeta <dante@mclink.it>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 10/07/1998 16:31:23
  by homeworld.cygnus.com with SMTP; 7 Oct 1998 14:34:33 -0000
	by mail1.mclink.it (8.9.1/8.9.0) with ESMTP id QAA28113
	for <netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG>; Wed, 7 Oct 1998 16:34:21 +0200 (CEST)
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 1998 16:31:23 +0200
From: Dante Profeta <dante@mclink.it>
To: netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG

Anders Dinsen wrote:
> In my opinion, networking is the most important issue, since 4.4BSD is effectively
> the reference implementation of TCP/IP. The structure of the networking stack
> must be interesting to your readers, i.e. definitions of terms like interfaces,
> arp layer, ip, tcp, udp. Also routing, dhcp, dns and capabilities that are specific
> for NetBSD compared to 4.4BSD: PPP, NAT etc.
>
> Hardware support and precompiled packages are other notable features of NetBSD.
> Particularly the portablility of course, although most NetBSD'ers are currently
> i386'ers, but in my opinion it has a tremendous amount of positive influence
> on the NetBSD "product", even if I only run i386.
>
> The precompiled packages makes it easy to get a customized platform up for whatever
> I want: Internet serving, routing, DNS... or for a workstation.

Umh... yes these are interesting topics for many people, but I'm writing
an in depth technical article, so I'm going to write about kernel
solutions... for example:
- Major differences between 4.4BSD and NetBSD kernel
- Portability (what kind of technical solutions this imply)
- bus_dma implementation (...)
- UVM (why it is better than Mach VM)
- Peripheral autoconfiguration (how does it works)

and so on...

--
  Dante_