Subject: Re: a non-original idea.
To: Sean Berry at CSI <berry@neverland.chaney.net>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 09/16/1998 23:22:30
  by homeworld.cygnus.com with SMTP; 17 Sep 1998 03:22:53 -0000
	by acheron.middleboro.ma.us (8.8.8/8.8.8) id XAA23966;
	Wed, 16 Sep 1998 23:22:30 -0400 (EDT)
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 23:22:30 -0400
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
To: Sean Berry at CSI <berry@neverland.chaney.net>,
        "Charles M. Hannum" <root@ihack.net>
Cc: William Birch <tree@pcrd.net>, netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG

On Wed, Sep 16, 1998 at 09:47:20PM -0500, Sean Berry at CSI wrote:

> Just do this one like the Lion's book, pass it around in source, and make
> it easily reproducible.  'hand-bound' copies would be pretty popular, I'm
> thinking, especially with a cd content makefile.  :)

I think having a freely available electronic copy around wouldn't be a
bad idea. People like me will want to buy it anyway for the cool cover
art, and people who are unfamiliar with NetBSD will be able to impulse-
buy it off the shelf. Maybe a CD-ROM with cool stuff on it would help...

Anyway, the New Hacker's Dictionary was explicitly available online and
free of charge, and it still was worth buying in hardcopy, IMHO.

One of the things that O'Reilly's mentioned not long ago on... Salon 2000,
was it? Something like that. Anyway, they mentioned that when they tried
releasing GPL'd versions of their stuff, people basically took it and
undersold them. I don't see that as being a particularly valid threat to
this project. :)

Anyway, in a couple days I'll take all the suggestions that have come
through by that time, put 'em together, and present them to the list in
some sort of formal way. I'll also throw them together on a web page, I
guess, with the idea that that can move to the NetBSD site at some point,
once the book project picks up steam.

Later...

--
Mason Loring Bliss..mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us..acheron.dyn.ml.org/mason
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments