Subject: Re: a non-original idea.
To: William Birch <tree@pcrd.net>
From: Charles M. Hannum <root@ihack.net>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 09/16/1998 18:58:14
  by homeworld.cygnus.com with SMTP; 16 Sep 1998 22:58:17 -0000
	by zygorthian-space-raiders.mit.edu (8.8.8/8.8.8) id SAA08841;
	Wed, 16 Sep 1998 18:58:14 -0400 (EDT)
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 18:58:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Charles M. Hannum" <root@ihack.net>
To: William Birch <tree@pcrd.net>
Cc: netbsd-advocacy@NetBSD.ORG

> how hard (read: expensive) would it be for us to write, layout,
> and produce a book ourselves really be?

Last I knew, the Free Software Foundation made <$5/book net profit,
and on some of the lower volume ones, even less.  O'Reilly actually
claimed to have lost a fair amount of money producing the 4.4 books.

If we actually wrote a really good basic tutorial book, and packed a
CD in each one, I'd bet we could sell a lot of copies.  But it's going
to require a large investment.