Subject: [comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.announce] XZX 2.6.1 - ZX Spectrum 48/128/+3 emulator for UNIX/X11
To: None <netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-advocacy
Date: 09/14/1998 17:21:37
To: netbsd-advocacy@netbsd.org
From: cgd@netbsd.org (Chris G. Demetriou)
Date: 14 Sep 1998 17:21:37 -0700

Here's an example of what I consider a "low-priority" PR opportunity.

The announcement says:

>XZX is known to work on the following machines/operating systems:
>
>Sparc            - Solaris, SunOS 4.x, Linux, NetBSD
>Intel            - SVR4, SCO, SINIX, Linux, FreeBSD
>Mips             - SVR4, DEC Ultrix, SGI Irix, SINIX, Linux, NetBSD
>IBM RS6000       - AIX v3.2.x
>Hewlett Packard  - HP/UX
>DEC Alpha        - OSF/1
>Motorola 68K     - Bull B.O.S. (but very slowly even on a 68040)

We're listed in two of those lists, we could be listed in five with
probably minimal effort, and maybe 6 depending on what you want to
call PowerPC.

Not particularly big gain, but the notion is, random users should look
at this long list of system types and see "NetBSD, NetBSD, NetBSD,
NetBSD..." 8-)

(It should also be a package, but that's another issue...  There is
some synergy.)

cgd
Plug: Get your official NetBSD-1.3.2 CDROM set today! http://www.netbsd.com/
Version 2.6.1 of XZX, a Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48/128/+3 emulator for machines
running UNIX and the X11 window system has been released.

XZX is known to work on the following machines/operating systems:

Sparc            - Solaris, SunOS 4.x, Linux, NetBSD
Intel            - SVR4, SCO, SINIX, Linux, FreeBSD
Mips             - SVR4, DEC Ultrix, SGI Irix, SINIX, Linux, NetBSD
IBM RS6000       - AIX v3.2.x
Hewlett Packard  - HP/UX
DEC Alpha        - OSF/1
Motorola 68K     - Bull B.O.S. (but very slowly even on a 68040)

XZX will work with color (8,16,24,32bpp) and monochrome displays; contrasting
colours are displayed with the darker colour in black and the lighter colour in
white, which works reasonably well.  Halftoning is used if the scaling factor
is increased.

For a detailed changelog see:

  http://www.philosys.de/~kunze/xzx/

The FTP sites where you can look for to fetch XZX are the following and their
mirrors.  The newest version (or any of them) is not necessarily on each of
these sites.

  ftp://ftp.gns.getronics.nl/pub/os/sinclair/emulators/unix/
  ftp://ftp.nvg.unit.no/pub/spectrum/emulators/spectrum/unix/
  ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/emulators/zx/

The latest news and files are allways available from XZX's homepage.  This page
gets updated at least every week, sometimes even every day.

  http://www.philosys.de/~kunze/xzx/

Enjoy

--
Erik.Kunze@fantasy.muc.de

Maintainer of XZX, *THE* Spectrum 48/128/+3 emulator for UNIX/X11.
XZX home page: http://www.philosys.de/~kunze/xzx/