Subject: Re: NetBSD on Performa 550
To: Kevin Crandall <kevin@midcoast.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 02/05/1996 22:44:25

> Dear folks,
>
> I recently purchased the NetBSD CD from InfoMagic, fully understanding that
> NetBSD might not run on my Macintosh Performa 550.  I had seen vague
> references on the internet to NetBSD running on a 550, but it seemed like a
> long shot.  So, if you can lend any clues I would appreciate the help.

Such dedication! :-)

> Here's where things seemed to go funky, where it dropped into the debugger...
>
> [lots of stuff about bootstrapping, moving ROMBase, video address, etc]
>
> NetBSD 1.1 (Generic) #47: Wed Nov 22  19:17:19 PST 1995
>                 root2@ wormhole:/disk2/src/syc/arch/mac68k/compile/GENERIC
> Apple Macintosh Performa 550 (68030)
> real mem = 5242880
> avail mem = 2543616
> using 89 buffers containing 364544 bytes of memory
> mrg: 'Mac Classic II Roms' rom glue, tracing off, debug off, silent traps
> adb: bus subsystem
> Got following HwCfgFlags: 0xec00,0x      773f,   0x1b404926,0x      0
> mrg: setup egret:
> unknown OS trap  0xa247, no trap address available
> panic: mrg aline super ()
> Stopped at                      _Debugger +0x6:     unlk        a6
>

> And there it hung up tight.  there is no sign of any "grey bars".   Should I
> just give up?  When it says unknown OS trap, is this because I'm running
> 7.5.1 - maybe I should drop back to 7.5

I think we've stoped using them in general. The error you're running into is
that the adb system changes from computer to computer, and your
model hasn't made it into the patched-for set of machines. As we are
calling the ROM, and MacOS is nowhere to be found, the difference between
7.5 & 7.5.1 won't matter here.

You really need the help of one of the adb gurus (which I'm not). :-(

> Also, 32 bit has been turned on in control panel - it probably should be
> turned off.

Leave it on. 24 bit is bad for us. We depend upon a lot of the MacOS
memory mapping, at least to find our way around. :-) We need 32 bit.

Take care,

Bill