Subject: Re: Various ramblings...
To: noud de brouwer <noud@knot.nl>
From: Monroe Williams <monroe@teleport.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 08/30/1995 10:34:20
>Monroe, for now i've got an improvement.
>I didn't read the rfc1323 yet but it does change a lot. I'm testing it now.
>Let me take some breaths of air (i need them cause the length of this story),
>then it's onwards again trying to get it from 600-300 to 3000b/s.
>Hardware handshaking and disconnect detect must be possible the given hardware.
>And faulty logins still do crash the port.
>~n

I don't know if this will help or not, but I'm using the pppd option
'crtscts' to force hardware flow control. This can either be a command line
option or it can go in the 'options' file for pppd.

I'm almost certain that Macs can't do both hardware handshaking and
disconnect detect at the same time. The problem is that the DIN8 serial
connector they use doesn't have enough pins for all of the traditional
RS232 signals. Specifically, it has DTR and CTS, but it doesn't have DCD,
DSR or RTS.  (Two of the pins are used for RS422 differential transmission
and just map to ground on RS232.)

Most of this is from memory, so I could be wrong.  Does anyone out there
have conflicting information?  (I've copied this to the list so others
can jump in.)

-- monroe