Subject: Re: More on the lack of swap
To: Valtteri Vuorikoski <vuori@sci.fi>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@edsi.org>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 08/27/1995 21:41:13
On Sun, 27 Aug 1995, Valtteri Vuorikoski wrote:

>  I added options GENERIC to the config file I use (it
> was a copy of an old GENERIC-config, and I didn't remember
> to add that after it was added to the GENERIC-config. doh),
> and now it boots happily [...]

1) I seem to recall that the general case of generic swapping was relatively
broken.  At the least, it doesn't recognize swap on disks other than the boot
disk, unless something has been fixed since I checked last.

2) Have you tried "config netbsd root on sd0 swap on sd0 and sd2" or
something similar?

I have used kernels with specifically configured-in swap on my i386 and hp300
machines for quite some time now, since having more than one swap partition
has been particularly useful for me.  Oh, and make sure you do *not* specify
"options GENERIC" if you take this suggestion.

I plan to build my own -current kernel tomorrow (my "make build" ought to be
finished by then).

--scott