Subject: Re: Various ramblings...
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Tom Rowlands <tomr@oaf.apana.org.au>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 08/25/1995 18:37:46
One fine sunny day, someone wrote:
>The Stylewriter definitely uses the Canon Bubblejet print engine. I _think_
>that the folks at Apple, bless their little hearts, built a proprietary
>controller and attached it to the print engine. Therefore, I can use
>standard Canon ink cartridges (sp?), but drivers are another story
>entirely.
>
>I'll take a closer look at the Bubblejet driver in ghostscript.  Who knows?
>Maybe Apple did something sensible for once.  ;-)

HeyŠ Cmon! Their protocol could quite possibly be more efficient that the
standard bubble jet one. Why shouldn't apple simply redo one of their old
drivers rather than probably have to pay Cannon for use of theirs.

Yes. I am probably extremely ignorant, but that just seems so unfair! Apple
wrote the OS, so why shouldn't they have their own drivers etc?

Of course this all makes it much harder for those who want to write a
driver for any other OS (ie MacBSD).

Cheers.

/O\ Tom Rowlands                                               (06) 292 6854/O\
|||tomr@oaf.apana.org.au         Feel free to comment on the below sentance.|||
       There is a reason why MacOS is the worlds most popular 32 bit OS.