Subject: CD600e
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@romulus.rutgers.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 08/21/1995 13:11:13
I got an Apple CD600e for about $340 at a local CompUSA store the
other day, and it works beautifully with MacBSD (meaning I can mount
O'Reilly's The X Companion CD for R6 :-).  During the boot, kernel
probes the drive as <MATSHITA, CD-ROM CR-8005, 1.0k>, so I'd guess any
CD-ROM drives that use a Matsushita(?) CR-8005 mechanism work with
MacBSD.  Just thought I'd let you know.

To those interested in how fast a quadspeed drive is: This is my first
CD-ROM drive ever, so I can't comment on its performance.  Sorry about
that.

BTW, does anyone know a good audio CD player X app besides workman and
xmcd?  They both require MacBSD-non-standard libraries (XView 3 and
Motif respectively) and building XView 3.2 under MacBSD doesn't seem
trivial, needless to say Motif is out of the question.  FreeBSD and
Linux seem to have a program called xcdplayer - maybe that's my best
bet, but I'd like to know if anyone's done it before, one way or
another.

Thanks,

kenn