Subject: Re: Formatting a magneto-optical
To: David C. Myers <pp001628@interramp.com>
From: None <sparta@imsa.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 08/19/1995 16:33:49
David C. Myers uttered these words in the midst of the great quest on the net:

> MacBSD supports magneto-opticals, right?  Since I'm running out of space on
I don't see why not.

> my main disk, I wanted to move my 230MB MO drive over to the MacBSD system
> and format some non-boot disks.  I've never gone through the NetBSD
> formatting process (disklabel, then newfs, I guess??).  Should I avoid this
> and format the disk using the Mac-side utilities?  Does it make a
> difference?
Well, here's the thing.  Running newfs from the NetBSD side will build a very
beautiful new 4.4 file system which you should be able to read from within
NetBSD; however, there is a good probability that the installer will not be
able to read or write to this disk ...  By using newfs and not the MacOS mkfs
you get some good filesystem performance improvements.  It all depends on
what you want, and what you are willing to give up.

> At the moment, the only thing that will be going onto the MO is the kernel
> source, which I wanted to start playing with.
If you go the newfs route I would suggest putting at least a "root" file
system on your hard disk .... so you can boot safely and manipulate things
from MacOS should a crash happen (God knows, crashes happen).

--
Gene Skonicki		sparta@imsa.edu		"Very funny, Scotty, now beam
						 down my clothes."