Subject: Re: MacBSD on 270MB SyQuest...
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Thomas Bj|rn Andersen <u940434@daimi.aau.dk>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 08/05/1995 13:25:23
 Mike South (msouth@oneworld.owt.com) wrote:

  The biggest problem I had with the SyQuest was getting the partition sizes
  right. The new APS utilities (3.x) insist on creating a 53MB root volume. I
  wound up getting an older version from... hmm, one of the usual FTP
  archives. The MKFS defaults were correct, I didn't have to change anything.

I used FWB HardDisk Toolkit version 1.6 (or something close). There were no problems setting up the partitions at all.

  There is a problem when you boot MacBSD.  When the booter does its shutdown
  (just prior to booting BSD) all removable drives are unmounted, including
  the SyQuest. You have to IMMEADIATELY flip the lever back to remount.  On
  my IIsi the drive goes back online just after being probed for drive
  geometery (BSD winds up using a default).  If I wait too long before
  remounting then the drive is not ready when BSD tries to boot from it, and
  everything dies.

I don't seem to have that problem. (FYI I'm using a D2 Drive with a little extension called "D2 Driver Init"). I guess the A/UX partition doesn't get mounted, so it can't really get un-mounted at shutdown :-)

Thomas