Subject: Re: MacBSD on 270MB SyQuest...
To: MacBSD General <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brian R. Gaeke <brg@dgate.org>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 08/05/1995 15:11:36
And then spake Michael South as follows:
> There is a problem when you boot MacBSD.  When the booter does its shutdown
> (just prior to booting BSD) all removable drives are unmounted, including
> the SyQuest. You have to IMMEADIATELY flip the lever back to remount.

You ought to try patching the booter to flip the bit (in the DCE? in
the VCB?  or would this require patching _Eject? Or would a patch to
_Eject be blasted away by the kernel loading?) that says whether it's
removable. I thought this would be something documented, but a quick scan
of Inside Mac turned up nothing. Anyone know?

Better yet, have a checkbox in the Booter Preferences dialog that says
whether to do this or not ("Booting from Removable Disk" sounds good).

Then again, Allen's about to release Booter 1.8, so maybe you should wait
for this, or maybe Allen will put it in...

Just an idea (but if I get some time I'll try and put it in myself)
-BRG

--
Brian Gaeke, The Dimensional Gate Company    Internet E-Mail: <brg@dgate.org>
DGate.ORG system adminstrator / PGP 2.6.2 public key available via finger