Subject: Re: MacBSD on 270MB SyQuest...
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael South <msouth@oneworld.owt.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 08/04/1995 22:34:02
[This is in reply to private mail to me from Thomas Andersen
(u940434@daimi.aau.dk), asking about getting 270MB SyQuests set up.]

I'm working on a more detailed description, but here it is for now...

The biggest problem I had with the SyQuest was getting the partition sizes
right. The new APS utilities (3.x) insist on creating a 53MB root volume. I
wound up getting an older version from... hmm, one of the usual FTP
archives. The MKFS defaults were correct, I didn't have to change anything.

There is a problem when you boot MacBSD.  When the booter does its shutdown
(just prior to booting BSD) all removable drives are unmounted, including
the SyQuest. You have to IMMEADIATELY flip the lever back to remount.  On
my IIsi the drive goes back online just after being probed for drive
geometery (BSD winds up using a default).  If I wait too long before
remounting then the drive is not ready when BSD tries to boot from it, and
everything dies.

Later...

Mike

---