Subject: IIsi woes, still!
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Scott Lipcon <>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 07/31/1995 21:13:48
Hello all... I am at my friend's house, trying to no avail to bring his
IIsi into the world of unix.

Using the netbsd.051685 kernel we got the farthest: It says its silly
quote, then blanks the screen and fills it with DEBUG: lines, ending with:
DEBUG: Here we go! Starting _main()

then it says this (as best I can remember from my notes here)

Copyright (c) 1982,1989,1991, 1993
	The Regents of the University of California, All Rights Reserved
NetBSD 1.0A (Puma) #2:
Apple Macintosh IIsi
real mem = 71299072
avail mem = 1060864
using 204 buffers containing 835584 bytes of memory
mrg: 'Mac IIsi class ROMs' rom glue, tracing off, debug off, silent trap,
adb: bus subsystem

then it just sits there acting dumb...

It is a 5Mb IIsi, and I have set the Ram in the booter prefs to 4Mb, to
avoid the video problems.  I am not trying to boot with a serial console,
since people say tht the IIsi no longer needs it.

I have also tried two new kernels suggested by, one from
july sometime and the other from may.  Neither of them get past the
booter window... they say something like ser console = 1 (sometimes 2,
sometime 3) and hang right there.

any ideas? any simple ways to make a serial console with a mac SE/30 (it
doesn't have enough ram to run BSD... I thought of that already)