Subject: IIsi woes, still!
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Scott Lipcon <slipcon@max.tiac.net>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 07/31/1995 21:13:48
Hello all... I am at my friend's house, trying to no avail to bring his
IIsi into the world of unix.

Using the netbsd.051685 kernel we got the farthest: It says its silly
quote, then blanks the screen and fills it with DEBUG: lines, ending with:
DEBUG: Here we go! Starting _main()

then it says this (as best I can remember from my notes here)

Copyright (c) 1982,1989,1991, 1993
	The Regents of the University of California, All Rights Reserved
NetBSD 1.0A (Puma) #2:
Apple Macintosh IIsi
real mem = 71299072
avail mem = 1060864
using 204 buffers containing 835584 bytes of memory
mrg: 'Mac IIsi class ROMs' rom glue, tracing off, debug off, silent trap,
adb: bus subsystem

then it just sits there acting dumb...

It is a 5Mb IIsi, and I have set the Ram in the booter prefs to 4Mb, to
avoid the video problems.  I am not trying to boot with a serial console,
since people say tht the IIsi no longer needs it.

I have also tried two new kernels suggested by noud@knot.nl, one from
july sometime and the other from may.  Neither of them get past the
booter window... they say something like ser console = 1 (sometimes 2,
sometime 3) and hang right there.

any ideas? any simple ways to make a serial console with a mac SE/30 (it
doesn't have enough ram to run BSD... I thought of that already)

Thanks
Scott