Subject: Re: mac system software version
To: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
From: Brad "Two Scoops" Grantham <grantham@rum.asd.sgi.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 07/31/1995 10:47:44
Brad Salai said:
> Mac II
>
> I cannot get any kernal to boot unless I turn OFF Mode32 or hold down the
> shift key to disable all extensions.  I only see 8 megs of memory, but a
> number of the kernels work fine for me. I'm currently using the May16
> version, I think (its at home and I'm not)

I wouldn't worry about this; I haven't been able to boot my MacBSD recently
without turning off 32-bit addressing.  I suspect it has something to do
with the Mac II defaulting to a 24-bit address space without the PMMU.

With regards to the 8M instead of 20M, do you see only 8M in your "About
this Mac" box with 32 bit addressing turned off?  In 24bit addressing mode,
you should be able to see only 12M total of RAM anyway.

I've been booting fine from System 7.5, too.

> Brad

There seem to be an awful lot of Brads floating around in the
Mac-UNIX world...

		-Brad
--
*******	I pushed on the button marked "blower" and my stove exploded. *********