Subject: Re: X11R6 before and after shared libraries
To: None <barthetc@ibs.uscs.com, macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@romulus.rutgers.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 07/31/1995 13:57:16
> I just started up the old X dist that does not use share libraries (yes I'm
> still using a 1.0 generic kernel). I have a MacIIci and the performance is
> really not useable. It takes a number of seconds just to echo keystrokes. Can
> anyone tell me if the performance is improved in the new X dist? Thanks.

[I must have overlooked your mail... sorry but I didn't ignore you]

The new X works fine on my SE/30.  I am using it right now as I'm writing
this.  It doesn't take seconds to echo keystrokes... which makes me
wonder:  Did you set your color depth *1-bit*?  I'm not sure if X works
with color depth more than 1-bit at all, but if it does, it must be...

BTW, I got a used Micron XCEED SE/30 (?) and a 15" monitor, and X
works in both screens! (with XCEED being :0.0 and internal video being
:0.1)  Mmm...

kenn