Subject: Re: trying to install current version
To: Sean Sweda <sweda@us.itd.umich.edu>
From: noud de brouwer <noud@knot.nl>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 07/27/1995 10:10:36

> I've been able to successfully bring up netbsd on an SE/30 with
> 8 megs of ram and a 240 mb drive, with the generic 1.0 release.
> However, I *really* want ethernet capability, so I installed the
> current binaries (ftp.eskimo.com), but when I try to boot it
> hangs on the grf0.  I assume this is because the kernal was
> compiled for use on a Mac II with the 8-bit video card, and all
> I got is the 1-bit screen.  Any tips on how to get this up and
> running?  Especially appreciated would be any info on how to get
> the networking via ethernet working.

Sean,
**it's still messy v.0b & untested**

How to install your first interface:

Some organisational things to do:
1. Ask/pick an IP-name and IP-number for your ethernet's interface.
   Let's say the name is BSDsName and the number 123.123.123.123
2. Ask/pick an Domain name.
   Let's say the name is my.domain.

Some technical things to do:
Type these steps in (you can omit the comments starting with "#"):

cd /etc                               # move to the etcetera directory

echo "inet BSDsName" > hostname.ae0   # store your ethernet's interface in
it's place
echo BSDsName > myname                # store your host in it's place
echo my.domain > defaultdomain        # store Domain name in it's place

echo "123.123.123.123 BSDsName.my.domain BSDsName" >> hosts
                                      # bind the IP-number to the IP-name

echo my.domain > resolv.conf
echo "nameserver 123.123.123.123" >> resolv.conf
echo "lookup file" >> resolv.conf
                                      # make sure BSD can resolve all the
things we told it
reboot

You can also FTP the install_1st_interface.sh script into the /etc directory,
or vi it in if you prefer that.
Then on the BSD side type these steps in (you can omit the comments
starting with "#"):

cd /etc                               # move to the etcetera directory
chmod a-w+x install_1st_interface.sh  # make the script executable
install_1st_interface.sh ae0 BSDsName 123.123.123.123 my.domain
                                      # execute the script

Here's the script:

#!/bin/sh                         # this file is a script
# install_1st_interface.sh
#
# $1  Interface type
# $2  Host name
# $3  Host number
# $4  Domain name
#
cd /etc                           # move to the etcetera directory
#
# backup files that this script is changing
cp hostname.$1   hostnm.$1.back
cp myname        myname.back
cp defaultdomain defaultdomain.back
cp hosts         hosts.back
cp resolv.conf   resolv.conf.back
#
echo "inet $3" > hostname.$1    # store an ethernet's interface in it's place
echo $2 > myname                  # store your host in it's place
echo $4 > defaultdomain           # store Domain name in it's place
#
# bind IP-numbers to IP-names
#
echo "$3 $2.$4 $2" >> hosts
#
# tell BSD to use all this
#
echo domain $4 > resolv.conf
echo "nameserver $3" >> resolv.conf
echo "lookup file" >> resolv.conf
#
sync                              # insure that all disk writes have been
completed
shutdown -r now                   # reboot now

And for your confort:

#!/bin/sh                         # this file is a script
# undo_interface.sh
#
# $1  Interface type
#
cd /etc                           # move to the etcetera directory
#
# park files that install_xxx_interface.sh has modified
#
mv hostname.$1   hostnm.$1.park
mv myname        myname.$1.park
mv defaultdomain defaultdomain.$1.park
mv hosts         hosts.$1.park
mv resolv.conf   resolv.conf.$1.park
#
# restore files that install_xxx_interface.sh has changed
#
cp hostnm.$1.back     hostname.$1
cp myname.back        myname
cp defaultdomain.back defaultdomain
cp hosts.back         hosts
cp resolv.conf.back   resolv.conf
#
shutdown -r now                   # reboot now

#!/bin/sh                         # this file is a script
# redo_interface.sh
#
# $1  Interface type
#
cd /etc                           # move to the etcetera directory
#
# restore parked files that install_xxx_interface.sh has changed
#
cp hostnm.$1.park        hostname.$1
cp myname.$1.park        myname
cp defaultdomain.$1.park defaultdomain
cp hosts.$1.park         hosts
cp resolv.conf.$1.park   resolv.conf
#
shutdown -r now                   # reboot now