Subject: Re: DeskWriters & Net/FreeBSD
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Dameon D. Welch <dwelch@scudc.scu.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 07/15/1995 14:32:00
On Wed Jul  5 13:20:36 1995, Bill Studenmund wrote:

>To run serial, you need a serial port set for 57600 bps & hardware flow
>control. Then just treat the printer like the DeskJet equivelant, and
>you're fine. Just make sure the driver doesn't download fonts; I
>haven't figured that part out. Dumping (compressed) raster graphics is
>fine.
>
>The problem I'm running into is that, under MacBSD, I don't have the
>flow control correct. It seems that MacBSD either ignores the flow
>control, or reacts too late (too many characters went out the pipe
>first). :-(

Hm... yeah, when I try dialing with cu to dial a system (and
interactively use it), the serial port frequently overruns. If I use
something like 'term' (Linux thing) or use uucp, it seems to work
fine. Whether or not hardware handshaking is taking place, I don't
know. But these two programs seems to handle it correctly.

Of course, it's been a while since I've played with either of these
things. YMMV.

--
< Dameon D. Welch (dwelch@uplink.com, http://www.uplink.com/uplink/ ) >
     "It's the same kind of mindless intellectually bankrupt