Subject: How to set up an external console?
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Scott Lipcon <slipcon@max.tiac.net>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 07/14/1995 23:12:46
Background: I first tried to get MacBSD up on my LCII, but failed.  It
was installed on a Syquest 44Mb cart.  I didn't delete the cart, because
I wanted to try it on my friends macs.  First, we tried it on his SE/30,
but it didn't work because he only has 1Mb of ram.  So, we decided to try
to set up the exteral console using his IIsi.  I tried it with
netbsd.051695 kernel, and it seemed to load OK (we got a message that
said NetBSD/Mac68K 1.0, and a date, and allen briggs name and email
address).  The message came up right on the IIsi's monitor.  It then just
sat there, so we moved to the SE/30, which (we thought) was a serial
terminal.... we had a simple imagewriter cable (serial to serial) between
the two printer ports, and ZTerm was running on the SE/30.

We couldn't anything to show up on the serial window in ZTerm.  How
should I go about getting this system working? Here are some facts:
SE/30 = 1 Mb RAM, 40Mb HD, system 6.0.2
IIsi = 5Mb RAM, 80Mb HD, system 7.0.1
Syquest drive= 16Mb swap partition, 28 (approx) Mb. Root&Usr partition, ID4

I think i have everything set up correctly.  Any ideas?
thanks
Scott