Subject: Re: PC-Linux -> MacBSD cross dev?
To: None <m.jerabek@magnet.at, macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 06/29/1995 15:49:55
> Following the old Unix rule "Use the source, Luke", I want to check it out
> myself and maybe apply some patches. But the problem is, of course, that I
> cannot use MacBSD to compile itself. The idea which came to my mind is to use
> Linux on my PC to compile a MacBSD kernel.

Even if you couldn't compile, it wouldn't hurt to have the source
handy (If I were you, I would dump Linux and put NetBSD on the PC,
though ... 8-).

> For that end I need a 68k code generator for gcc and gas which shouldn't be
> any problem. But what else? Which format does the MacBSD kernel have? Can a
> PC-Linux linker produce so a thing? Has anyone ever tried it? Any hints?

I've never seen anything but a.out on NetBSD (or at least I've always
thought so).  Even MINIX ld can produce a.out, right?  But I'm not
sure whether or not endian matters.

> While I'm at it, what is this rom glue stuff? Does MacBSD use ROM routines?
> Why? Is it just a temporary hack or is it bound to stay?

Because each Mac model has slightly different programming model (which
usually isn't well documented enough to write a driver) but the ROM
absorbs the differences.  I guess it's bound to stay.

Ken