Subject: Re: PC-Linux -> MacBSD cross dev?
To: None <m.jerabek@magnet.at>
From: Brad "Aerosol Free" Grantham <grantham@rum.asd.sgi.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 06/29/1995 11:07:39
Martin Jerabek said:
> So it's an easy guess that my SuperMac
> Spectrum 8.24 PDQ is the one to blame but I don't want to rip it out
> everytime I use MacBSD.

I think this is a known problem (it might be in the FAQ).

> While I'm at it, what is this rom glue stuff? Does MacBSD use ROM routines?
> Why? Is it just a temporary hack or is it bound to stay?

Mac ROM Glue provides an interface to the Mac ROM routines, sort of faking
a MacOS environment for the ROMs.  It allows (at least on some machines)
MacBSD to pass interrupts and data on to the ROMs and not have to know
how to actually talk to the ADB hardware.  It should probably be
extended to handle NuBus cards, too, but I don't have the time.

It is a temporary hack while we do not have adequate documentation
regarding the Mac hardware.  However, since it is unlikely that we will
ever have adequate documentation, I think it's a safe bet that it will
stay.

		-Brad
--
Brad Grantham, grantham@asd.sgi.com, 415-390-4993, http://www.alt.net/~grantham