Subject: PC-Linux -> MacBSD cross dev?
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Martin Jerabek <m.jerabek@magnet.at>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 06/29/1995 14:50:01
Hi and thanks to everybody who tried to help me with my IIsi problems. I
finally managed to get netbsd.950508 and Booter 1.6 but it still crashes.
Right after "grf0 at nubus0" comes a trap 2, followed by several screenfuls
of "panic: Illegal instruction". So it's an easy guess that my SuperMac
Spectrum 8.24 PDQ is the one to blame but I don't want to rip it out
everytime I use MacBSD.

Following the old Unix rule "Use the source, Luke", I want to check it out
myself and maybe apply some patches. But the problem is, of course, that I
cannot use MacBSD to compile itself. The idea which came to my mind is to use
Linux on my PC to compile a MacBSD kernel.

For that end I need a 68k code generator for gcc and gas which shouldn't be
any problem. But what else? Which format does the MacBSD kernel have? Can a
PC-Linux linker produce so a thing? Has anyone ever tried it? Any hints?

While I'm at it, what is this rom glue stuff? Does MacBSD use ROM routines?
Why? Is it just a temporary hack or is it bound to stay?

See ya,
Jerry

PS: I hope I don't get flamed for mentioning *PC* and *Linux* on a *Mac* and
*NetBSD* list :-).