Subject: Re: Some new user questions
To: Nicholas Riley <sabi@netcom.com>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@cyber1.servtech.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 06/24/1995 13:02:16

>> >This is a bug that I haven't had time to track down.  Dt will work
>> >similarly, except that it won't fail...  It will think it's working,
>> >but won't draw anything.
>>
>> I have a similar problem, with the additional feature that with two
>> screens, I sometimes get only one of the two screens to come up. X works
>> normally with one screen, as well as with two, but it often takes a three
>> step process
>> startx -  fail -  kill
>> startx -  one screen  -  kill
>> startx  - both screens!!
>
>well, I have a slightly similar problem :)
>
>startx # 1 - "can't run x with no screens!"
>startx # 2 - recognizes screen 0, desktop pattern comes up, then coredumps
>startx # 3 - "can't run x with no screens!"
>startx # 4 - recognizes screens 0 and 1, desktop pattern comes up, coredump
>startx # 5 - "can't run x with no screens!"
>startx # 6 - recognizes screen 0, same as before.
>
>so I just get one more step inserted, except that X never starts. =)

As someone already pointed out, I was not quite accurate with what I see.
Actually it is
startx -  fail -  kill
startx -  one screen  -  kill
startx -  fail -  kill
startx  - both screens!!

I think that I saw a note that someone knows what the problem is and how to
fix it. At most it is presently inconvenient, I can certainly work around
it.

Brad

Stephen B. Salai                                (716) 325-5553
Cumpston & Shaw                                 bsalai@servtech.com
Two State Street
Rochester, NY 14614