Subject: Re: Some new user questions
To: Allen Briggs <>
From: Brad Salai <>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 06/22/1995 11:25:50
>> (3) The FIRST time I type startx or xinit I get ...
>>     Fatal Server Error;
>>     Can't run X server with no screens!
>>     X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)
>This is a bug that I haven't had time to track down.  Dt will work
>similarly, except that it won't fail...  It will think it's working,
>but won't draw anything.

I have a similar problem, with the additional feature that with two
screens, I sometimes get only one of the two screens to come up. X works
normally with one screen, as well as with two, but it often takes a three
step process
startx -  fail -  kill
startx -  one screen  -  kill
startx  - both screens!!

>> (4) On a (probably) releated note, any recommendations on a sys admin
>> book for a guy who knows a little about alot but alot about nothing.
>> I mean, I can program a little in C and read code and I've written a
>> handful of shell scripts, but I've only been working in the Unix
>> environment for less than a year.
>Look at the *BSD FAQ by Dave Burgess--available on rtfm and other sites
>around the net.
I bought O'Reillys   Essential System Administration.  It is a good basic
book IMHO

Stephen B. "Brad" Salai
Cumpston & Shaw                               Office (716) 325-5553
Two State Street                              Home   (716) 377-4624
Rochester, NY 14614