Subject: Re: Some new user questions
To: Space Case <wormey@eskimo.com>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@Plexus.COM>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 06/22/1995 10:04:55
On Wed, 21 Jun 1995, Space Case wrote:

> On Jun 21,  8:10am, Allen Briggs wrote:
> >> (3) The FIRST time I type startx or xinit I get ...
> >>
> >>     Fatal Server Error;
> >>     Can't run X server with no screens!
> >>     X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)
> >
> >This is a bug that I haven't had time to track down.  Dt will work
> >similarly, except that it won't fail...  It will think it's working,
> >but won't draw anything.
>
> I saw that too, with dt.  When I recompiled it (includes and kernel
> from a sup just before sun-lamp moved) it worked again.

Hmm.  I got it with a just-compiled dt-1.0.2 on a kernel and sources from
about the beginning of May (03 May or so).

My experience with X suggested that it was every other time the X server
was started, starting with the first, then the third, etc.  I didn't
document this on paper, just going from memory, so take it with a grain of
salt.

--scott