Subject: Re: BAD SUPER BLOCK
To: Ivan Alves <alves@econ.ubc.ca>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 06/21/1995 10:55:25

> I am trying to get a recent installation of Macbsd on a IIci.  I got the
> latest tarballs and kernels.  While booting I get the following error after
> which the system does not boot in multiuser mode.
>
> /dev/rsd0a: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
>
> Upon doing so I get
>
> ** /dev/rsd0a
> BAD SUPER BLOCK: MAGIC NUMBER WRONG
> /dev/rsd0a: NOT LABELLED AS A BSD FILE SYSTEM (unknown)
>
> What is rsd0a and how do I go about fixing this?  Thank you in advance for
> any help.

sd0 is your hard disk. sd0a is the root partition on your hard disk, and
rsd0a is the character-interface access to the root partition.

Tell us more about what you did and how things are set up.

You:

1) Used your favorite partitioning software to make A/UX 3.0 partitions,
     and made the root partition fat.

2) ran the Mac-side app MakeFS to put a file system on that partition

3) ran the installer to put stuff on that partition (like base.tgz)

4) Put the kernel either in the mac side or unix side of the disks

5) Used booter 1.6 and booted, having set things correctly in the preferences
     screen.

??

It kinda sounds like step #2 didn't go well, though I'd be supprised if
the installer would have worked w/o it.

> Ivan B. Alves - alves@econ.ubc.ca

Take care,

Bill

Oh, the time offset is in minutes from GMT. BC is in the Pacific Timezone,
isn't it? For PDT, the offset is -7 hours or -420 minutes. PST is -8 hours,
or -480 minutes.