Subject: Processes auto-nicing to 4
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Ripke <paul.p.r.ripke@msmail.bhp.com.au>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 06/19/1995 18:33:55
Hello,

I've been reading this list for quite some time, and in the last week I
have become a very happy MacBSD IIsi user - dt, X11R6 run beautifully,
GREAT JOB GUYS! Big difference since 1.0 and GENERIC #11 which I have been
running until 2 weeks ago.

Anyway, my question: While porting GCC 2.6.3, olwm, xlock, and a few
others, I often leave top running in a xterm or a dt-console. I have
noticed that over a period of time, occasionally, both top and dt (or X)
are reniced to 4. This has also happened with worms, xlock, and one other
program that I can't remember just now. Although not disasterous, it can
be quite annoying having to logon from my vt220 terminal to renice X or dt
to get some response back to the console (when the system is still
loaded).

Is this feature documented anywhere? I have searched around but couldn't
find anything. Can it be disabled? Is it indeed a feature, or something
very wierd on my machine?

For the record:
IIsi, 17Mb Ram. (ok, 16Mb... whatever)
IIsi happy kernel from im.lcs.mit.edu
tarballs recently from ftp.eskimo.com
Root + 32?? Mb swap on SyQuest 200
/mnt Quantum 40
/tmp 10Mb MFS mounted
MacFS Seagate 200
Apple PowerCD (only single speed :( but at least it works now!)
MacFS PowerBook 100 with Quantum 161Mb SCSIed. (occasionally)
...all hooked together with 2 metres of 50 pin ribbon cable (yes! It works!)

Again - GREAT JOB! At last I can do all my Uni assignments at home!

--
   /\/\     Paul Ripke
  / / /\    BHP Information Technology