Subject: Re: Thanks, its up!
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brad Salai <bsalai@servtech.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 06/16/1995 09:13:13
>        I had to leave my house at noon today and couldn't back to
>work untill about 8:30 tonight.  Gotta hear this, I couldn't figure out
>what was wrong, seemed like things should be working.  I went ahead
>and decided to check the memory control panel to see if 32 addressing
>was on.  Egads, the "on" radio control button was set but said that 32 bit
>addressing would not take affect till reboot!?!?!?  Evidently that
>option-shift-tilde trick had the effect of putting the computer in 24 bit
>addressing mode but sets the control panel so that on next reboot you'd
>be back in 32bit mode wich is what you need for RAMdoubler(well, if you
>want to get over 8 megs).  Very weird.

This is exactly what I see on my MacII. I don't have RAM Doubler, but I
need to disable Mode32 to get MacBSD to run.

>        When I pulled RamDoubler out of the extensions folder and rebooted
>then launched with the patched kernel it came through but then went into
>a panic/race condition.

When you removed RamDoubler, did you leave Mode32 enabled?  Can you check
if things work OK with neither RamDoubler or Mode32, thats what I see.

>        I removed the patched and installed the wormy generic!  It works
>great now!

Which version??

Maybe the code that used to work with Mode32 on has changed since generic
and can be fixed so Mode32 will work and we can have more than 8 megs.

Brad

Stephen B. "Brad" Salai                       bsalai@cyber1.servtech.com
Cumpston & Shaw                               Office (716) 325-5553
Two State Street                              Home   (716) 377-4624
Rochester, NY 14614