Subject: Re: Current sources and "device not configured" messages
To: Brent Burton <Brent.Burton@math.tamu.edu>
From: Ken Nakata <kenn@remus.rutgers.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 06/14/1995 01:06:10
> I am behind with MacBSD developments.  I am running the initial 1.0 system,
> but with recent developments I'd like to become more current.  First of
> all, I need to get the sources.  I'm not familiar with sup - can somebody
> point me to sup source & info, perhaps configuration examples?  Second,
> where is the current set of MacBSD sources located?  ftp.netbsd.org isn't
> alive; where did sun-lamp go?

First of all, you don't necessarily need to get the source, if you
just want to use reasonably current binaries.  Try
ftp.eskimo.com:/pub/wormey/.  Second of all, if you really want to
stay current, you really should subscribe to current-users list; there
was an announce about sun-lamp's moving across the nation on the list.

> I have a Toshiba CD-ROM on my system, which the kernel recognizes and
> can detect if a CD is present or not, i.e.:
>   targ 4 lun 0: <TOSHIBA, CD-ROM XM-5201TA, 3254> SCSI2 5/cdrom removable
> cd0 at scsibus0: cd present, 246742 x 2048 records
>
> However, "mount_cd9660 -o ro /dev/cd4a /cdrom" gives:
> mount_cd9660: Device not configured

The kernel autoconf says cd0... did you try to mount cd0a, instead of
cd4a?  On MacBSD, drives are numbered in order as they are found by
the kernel, and numbers do not reflect SCSI ID (this is a shot in the
dark...; don't have a CD-ROM drive).

> I've investigated this before, but couldn't find the fix.  Does the
> kernel just need to be rebuilt (what option?) or is the problem more
> fundamental?

Allen (Briggs) told me his Toshiba 3401 worked fine.  I would suspect
that's the case with your 5201 also.

Ken