Subject: Re: Current sources and "device not configured" messages
To: Brent Burton <Brent.Burton@math.tamu.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 06/13/1995 21:24:29
> I fetched Magnus' May 8 kernel for my IIsi, which now appears much
> happier with life.
>
> On to my questions.
>

> I am behind with MacBSD developments.  I am running the initial 1.0 system,
> but with recent developments I'd like to become more current.  First of
> all, I need to get the sources.  I'm not familiar with sup - can somebody
> point me to sup source & info, perhaps configuration examples?  Second,
> where is the current set of MacBSD sources located?  ftp.netbsd.org isn't
> alive; where did sun-lamp go?  As for a net connection, the kernel
> panics with the Asanti ether card in my system, but 14.4 PPP
> connection is working.

I was wondering the same thing. sun-lamp seems to be dead. But today,
ftp.netbsd.org is happy again, though it is now gip.eecs.umich.edu.
I think it took a while for the change to propogate through the host
tables.

You might just download the whole new sources. I was looking at getting
the sources off of the 4.4BSDLite CD ROM, but it looks too out-of-date.

> I have a Toshiba CD-ROM on my system, which the kernel recognizes and
> can detect if a CD is present or not, i.e.:
>   targ 4 lun 0: <TOSHIBA, CD-ROM XM-5201TA, 3254> SCSI2 5/cdrom removable
> cd0 at scsibus0: cd present, 246742 x 2048 records
  ^^^
  MacBSD logically renumbers everything from 0. Try /dev/cd0a. :-)

> However, "mount_cd9660 -o ro /dev/cd4a /cdrom" gives:
> mount_cd9660: Device not configured
>
> Thanks in advance for any help - I'm trying to come back up to speed
> with MacBSD.
>
> -Brent

Take care,

Bill