Subject: Re: IIsi success and difficulty
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.bevd.blacksburg.va.us>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 06/06/1995 15:48:08
> When I boot, if I have my campus LocakTalk connection connected to the printer
> port, the computer will hang at random times after turining on interrupts.
> Often immediatly after turning them on.

Yeah..  This is a known problem.  I've not considered it serious enough
to go hunting for, yet.  Someone else is looking into the serial driver
for a couple of improvements, though, and he might take a look at this,
too (hint, hint ;-).

> Also, I have a complain I heard someone else echo on the list. Why are
> the hard disks numbered 0,1,2,...? On our Ultrix system, which is based on
> an earlier BSD, the hard disks (/dev/rz1a, /dev/rz4a, etc) are numbered
> according to the SCSI id, not the sequence of devices.

This is by design.  If you want to hardwire a disk at a given scsi ID,
then you can do that easily with a custom kernel configuration.  I tend
to think that the dynamic system works better in the GENERIC case.
Especially in the (currently unsupported on the mac) case where there
are multiple SCSI adapters.

Allen Briggs - end killing - allen.briggs@bev.net ** MacBSD == NetBSD/mac68k **