Subject: IIsi success and difficulty
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 06/06/1995 11:11:55
Howdy!

I got the HappyIIsi kernel running on my IIsi last night and I'm quite
pleased! There's just one little bug.

When I boot, if I have my campus LocakTalk connection connected to the printer
port, the computer will hang at random times after turining on interrupts.
Often immediatly after turning them on.

Unfortunatly I'm still coming up to speed on NetBSD's inner guts, so I
can't go digging into this too much. Any ideas?

Also, I have a complain I heard someone else echo on the list. Why are
the hard disks numbered 0,1,2,...? On our Ultrix system, which is based on
an earlier BSD, the hard disks (/dev/rz1a, /dev/rz4a, etc) are numbered
according to the SCSI id, not the sequence of devices.

So say I have hard disks at 0, 3, and 6. Let's also say I have a cd-rom
at SCSI 2. Under Ultrix, the whole-drives would be rz0c, rz3c, znd rz6c.
Under MacBSD, they're sd0c, sd1c, and sd2c.

The problem is if I ever add another drive, or have the cd-rom around (or
probably a tape drive). The installer sees devices at 0, 2, 3, and 6. It
calls them sd0c, sd1c, sd2c, sd3c. If MacBSD is on drive 3, the installer
makes /etc/filesystems say root is on sd2a. But when NetBSD boots, it
sees the drives for what they are (disk vs. cd), and now drive 3,
which has NetBSD, is sd1a. The filesystems file is now wrong. :-(

So what would break if sd2x _always_ refered to a drive at SCSI address 2,
even if there was nothing at SCSI 2?

Thanks!

Take care,

Bill Studenmund