Subject: IIsi/IIvi/IIvx/? test kernel
To: None <macbsd-general@NetBSD.ORG, macbsd-development@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Daniel Risacher <magnus@im.lcs.mit.edu>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 05/08/1995 22:57:37
I am pleased to announce that my IIsi boots successfully with it's own
extended ADB keyboard and internal video.

Walter Ruetten and I, amoung others, have been working on this for
some time. Walter has made a strategic breakthrough, but I have the
joy of seeing it finally work.  Walter got it through ADBReInit, but
there were still some really wierd bugs.  Today I kludged it until it
was useful, but the code is still very gross and I don't really know
why it works exactly.  More work is required. It prints an extra half
page of wierd debugging messages while booting, but it works ok after
that.

But, for those of you who want a working kernel on a IIsi-type
machine, please try :

ftp://im.lcs.mit.edu/magnus/netbsd.950508

and let me know if you have any success.  This probably will help
IIsi's & IIvi's, as well as IIvx, and any other machine with ROMs
similar to the IIsi.  It will probably NOT work on other machines.  If
you know your ROMs aren't like the IIsi, it's probably not worth the
effort.

- Daniel Risacher

PS: Since I really have to start working on my classes, and Walter is
going on vacation, we probably won't work on this stuff for a little
while.  If anyone else wants to look at it, the file:
ftp://im.lcs.mit.edu/magnus/macrom.c has all the key changes.  You
need to compile with MRG_DEBUG defined for it to work, and there are
some print statements in adb_complete() in adbsys.c which should be
commented out.