Subject: Re: Minimum booting system
To: Andrew Herdman <apollo@io.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 04/30/1995 11:28:40
On Sun, 30 Apr 1995 12:40:07 -0400 (EDT)
 Andrew Herdman <apollo@io.org> wrote:

 > /netbsd
 > /bin/sh
 > /bin/ls
 > /bin/mv
 > /bin/rm
 > /bin/df
 > /usr/bin/tar

/sbin/init, probably some more.  Look at what the i386 install floppy set
has on it.  You'll also want some way of getting the tar files onto the
NetBSD filesystem once you've come into single-user.

 > I'm not sure if tar uses gzip or somthing else with the z option, maybe
 > it's built in.  I'm also curious if anything from /usr/lib should be
 > included as I believe most of everything may be compiled using shared
 > libraries these days.

Yeah, you'll probably want gzip, too.  Happily enough, gzip and tar are
linked statically (even though they're in /usr/bin) to eliminate the need
to have the shared libraries in just such a situation.  _Everything_ in
/bin and /sbin is linked statically.

Moffet Field, CA 94035                                 Pager: 415.428.6939