Subject: Re: ntpd?
To: Chris Jones <jones@cs.montana.edu>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@libra.loral.com>
List: macbsd-general
Date: 04/25/1995 12:21:39
At 10:59 AM 4/25/95 -0600, Chris Jones wrote:
>Hi all--
>
>My university has a machine running ntpd, but nothing running timed.
>Consequently, timed doesn't seem to do me much good, and I'd like to
>get ahold of ntpd.  Does anybody know where I could get source for it?

NTP is more accurate than timed anyway.

The official source for NTP is louie.udel.edu in /pub/ntp.  The FAQ is in
/pub/ntp/doc and there is a file clock.txt in there as well which lists
public-access NTP servers.

I recommend that you get one of the "old" versions (around 3.3w) from the
subdirectory rather than the current 3.4(whatever) version.  Changes are
not documented and sometime around then they started monkeying around with
the PLL code in a way which experience shows does not work (unless they
have recently gotten it fixed).

For pureists be aware that changing from timed to NTP changes your
theoretical basis for time from TAI to UTC.

Henry B. Hotz       hotz@libra.loral.com
               73730.2017@compuserve.com

The opinions expressed are my own,
not Loral's, and not Librascope's.